Friday, November 02, 2007

here be elvishness

Not long ago a friend drew my attention to the mini notebook, a Google function that fits quite nicely in the bottom right corner of Mozilla. I've been happily using it more and more. Today when I opened it, it was changed. They - the miniGooglenotebookitians - do these things, elvishly, without announcement, forewarning, or apology.

At first I didn't see the "clip" feature which I'd gotten addicted to. I emailed them at once, concernedly. Then I bothered to read the faq, and remembered yes, there is that right-click thingie that does exactly what clip did.

This way of speaking makes me appreciative - this is not a grandstanding USian bullshit concern, straining to talk about itself when it's so much faster to just make the changes and let us figure them out - and also a bit cog-like. The vast Google matrix keeps evolving, and our gestures and habits must concurrently go in step. It's not people making people happy happy people. It's something thinking about how it could be better, in real time, with people using it, depending on it.

High wire act. Risky. I'm still wondering what happened to Jeneane's inbox.

Update: Google Talks! Got this in reply to my query - I hadn't noticed the yellow star, but there it is:
Thank you for your honest feedback. The "Clip" button was replaced by the
yellow star button in the bottom left-hand corner of the mini-notebook
view. Please note that you can also make a selection, right-click on the
webpage, and select "Note this (Google Notebook)" to clip a new note.

If we can assist you further, please let us know.

Regards,
The Google Team

2 Comments:

Blogger Juke said...

Kevin Kelly who was affiliatedwith/edited WholeEarthCatalog/CoEvolutionQuarterly, has a post up about where all this may be headed if it hangs together long and well enough. Dreams that were once all I asked of that promised future. It's just that now there's much too much of the opportunist and parasitic, the elect-by-virtue-of-having-bought-a-ticket.
I'm using G-Notebook presently as a subsidiary blog tool, in between bookmarks and actual posting.

11/03/2007 10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Google reader also has share, which I tend to use to put things that look really good but I'm too whatever to read at the moment. It's networkable like most google doc stuff, but only works for blogs and bloglike objects. Mininotebook works for seemingly anything. Which leads to the next thing one will need, which is some way to organize, perhaps in multiple ways, stuff stored in share, in the mini-notebook, docs, bookmarks, del.icio.us, random notes, etc. Mininotebook just added multiple notebooks and sections within, so clearly it's being worked on. Everything that is miscellaneous will be organoned.

11/04/2007 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home