Thursday, May 29, 2008

Same as it ever was

The wars that news media conduct can be more interesting than the news they cover:

GORE VIDAL: See, I couldn’t really be published properly, because the New York Times had declared war on me, and they would never—they saw to it that I would never be reviewed.

AMY GOODMAN: Why did they declare war?

GORE VIDAL: If you don’t know this story, it’s too boring to go into.

AMY GOODMAN: But think of all the young people who are listening right now and who are watching.

GORE VIDAL: Well, I said, “Screw them,” and I went on. That’s for the young people listening. I don’t think any of the young people would be as hated by the Times as I was. It was hysteria.

AMY GOODMAN: Because?

GORE VIDAL: Well, work it out, work it out. Why would they be so hysterical? They got above their humble station, which is a pretty lousy establishment newspaper. And I don’t know. They got vain. They believed what they said about themselves: “all the news that’s fit to print.” Well, you know, almost nothing that was fit to print ever got in. And it’s as bad a newspaper today as it ever was. Democracy Now

4 Comments:

Blogger jonhusband said...

Only one quibble with Vidal's points .. the NY Times today is a worse newspaper than it ever was.

Just an opinion.

5/30/2008 11:26 AM  
Blogger jonhusband said...

You're so fair and so balanced .. and so right.

5/30/2008 1:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

An old writer I once knew used to read aloud articles from the Times to me, always prefacing it by saying: The New York Times, Yes, All The News That's Fit To Shit...

6/14/2008 4:40 AM  
Blogger Tom Matrullo said...

Sometimes I think of ads I'd really like to see. That would be one of them, madame.

6/14/2008 6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home