Friday, November 07, 2008

You betcha

A reviewer of Robert Kuttner's new book, Obama's Challenge: America's Economic Crisis and the Power of a Transformative Presidency:

If it sounds like I'm angry, I am. I hate that most of my adult life has been lived in a country that has become the testing ground for so many hare-brained ideas and crack pot nostrums.

Between the poles of faceless regulation and unbridled markets, that's a good description: a testing ground, with human guinea pigs.

It's one thing to attempt creative approaches to finance; it's another to allow them to run amok throughout municipal, state and global economic systems.

Who gave us the dispensation to introduce the fraudulent language of marketeers and advertisers into the realm of governmental prudence and our derived sense of what actually works? At what instant did bullshit become normative evidence for critical decisions?

In the Rumsfeldian world of that which we don't know we don't know, we do not need Ms. Palin or Mr. Fuld supplementing the void with their inspirations. Kuttner was on Democracy Now today.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger jonhusband said...

That's what I am angry about also, and it's chronic by now.

What seemed like an interesting emergent direction as I graduated from high school and then went through university morphed, in the early 80's to the growing fixation on money, competition, "what's in it for me", efficiency, control, reengineering, finding a way to get to he F*&* You money stage of life, and so on.

What I saw as inspiring idealism in my late adolescence and early adulthood became growing cynicism that when expressed, earned me chastisement at not wanting to get with the program.

On a selfish note, it will be a real pity if this state of things exists the whole of my adult life.

11/07/2008 5:57 PM  
Blogger Tom Matrullo said...

We for whom ahistorical media are all are committed to ignoring precedent, even the idea of pastness, regardless of how many times we bother to repeat Santayana's hallowed nostrum. Fuck you, money, indeed.

11/07/2008 7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home