Thursday, May 31, 2007

Setting it free

A link on David Weinberger's blog goes to an interesting article he wrote for the Harvard Business Review entitled If You Love Your Information, Set It Free. Yesterday, when I clicked on it, an interstitial something or other advised that one could quote up to 500 words of the article and no more. That bit of reintermediation doesn't seem to be there today, but if one searches for the article at the Review's site, one arrives at this:



It's unclear what exactly I am purchasing if I purchase copyright permission. Am I paying for the right to set David's article free? Am I under some limitation to be specified in the fine print of whatever I get when I buy permission?

What exactly is the institutional understanding at Harvard of the meaning of the work of someone like David, a Berkman Center fellow who has been an apostle for freeing information, whose latest book prophetically and proleptically sees it as inevitable?

What if I gave myself permission to cause the article to appear, say, here, without purchasing a download, a pdf, or copyright permission?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Juke said...

in related re:

"A daguerreotype of Edgar Allan Poe taken in 1848, less than a year before his death. Best known for his tales of the macabre and...
A copyright statement is inscribed on this image because it is a photograph of the original daguerreotype.'

-
So let's see. That means if you take something from out the public domain and reformat it you can then own that which it is now that is not that which it was then before you did that to it to make it that which it has become. Though it is to any end user but the most yclept of collectors the same precise thing as in this case that thing which was E.A.Poe at that moment and that thing in question that owes all its isness to the original which resides among us here and there being ours being the great delta of human things scammy little assholes didn't manage haven't managed to get their grubby little fingers on.
The guy that owns that Poe image copyright should read "The Gold Bug". He should read it every morning for a year.

6/01/2007 1:54 AM  
Blogger Tom Matrullo said...

A large mirror, --so at first it seemed to me in my confusion --now stood where none had been perceptible before; and, as I stepped up to it
in extremity of terror, mine own image, but with features all pale and
dabbled in blood, advanced to meet me with a feeble and tottering
gait.

Thus it appeared, I say, but was not. It was my antagonist --it
was Wilson, who then stood before me in the agonies of his
dissolution. His mask and cloak lay, where he had thrown them, upon
the floor. Not a thread in all his raiment --not a line in all the
marked and singular lineaments of his face which was not, even in
the most absolute identity, mine own!

It was Wilson; but he spoke no longer in a whisper, and I could have
fancied that I myself was speaking while he said:

"You have conquered, and I yield. Yet, henceforward art thou also
dead --dead to the World, to Heaven and to Hope! In me didst thou
exist --and, in my death, see by this image, which is thine own, how
utterly thou hast murdered thyself."

6/01/2007 3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home