Saturday, February 16, 2008

SDETs needed on the double


A robot named Steve Sanders called this morning. I have an unlisted number, but he found me. He must have one too. Caller ID offered "Blocked Call." I answered, because one never knows who's blocking their calls. I have friends with privacy penchants, so "Blocked Call" is not entirely helpful on the score of screening. I answered, Steve introduced himself and began, in true-to-bot-life form:

"Hello! Sorry I missed you!" followed by some blather about taxes and annuities. 8:30 a.m.

I was there, but I wasn't. I was supposed to be missed. I was the absentee human prescribed to be on the receiving end of an inhuman speaking.

I didn't tarry for contact info - (could the intrusivity of this mode of messaging be designed so that that you'll stay on to get the information to report it to "the authorities?").

Anyway, if I could, I'd commend {Steve} (we will need to agree on some diacritical sign to mark robots, no?) to Microsoft, which is looking ("ASAP") for developers with botic talent:
The Windows Live Agents Platform allows developer and non-developers alike to create "conversational applications" called agents that can be deployed on the web, through Live Messenger, or other venues. Users communicate with these agents in natural language, typing the queries as they would chat with friends, and the agents answer customer service questions, play games, retrieve information, or they just chat.
Can I just not wait? Within a system of infinite reduplication, this is a call that goes beyond convenience, machine servitude, etc. A whole new if not brave world teaching us, and our living children, to develop self-enhancing relationships with phantoms.

Will Search then find the Agents, and hackers fork Search, and Agents become more interesting? This doesn't seem entirely out of the bailiwick of the possible.

Does it, {Steve}?

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger jonhusband said...

Just imagine how low the overall cost structure will be, including all sunk marketing costs, when the transactions occur between two {phantoms}

2/16/2008 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home