Sunday, February 17, 2008

now for something (in)completely different

I have been invited to blog a conference, the FastForward08 event taking place in Orlando Monday through Wednesday. I have Hylton Jolliffe of Corante to thank for the invite. So far I count 31 bloggers attending.

Years ago, back in the days of print journalism, I covered some trade shows (anybody remember COMDEX?), but in eight years of blogging, I have never attended a conference in the capacity of blogger. (I've not seen the point of bloggers going somewhere to look at other bloggers blogging the blogging of other bloggers (Gary Turner and AKMA nailed that one years ago as I recall)).* I'm looking forward to learning about Enterprise Search, multi-faceted recommending, and the monetizing of the aforesaid and more. I'll also try to discover what "blogger" means in this context.

It is probably not a good moment to discover, as I just have, that six letters on my aging laptop suddenly and mysteriously (after a mandatory XP update) and steadfastly refuse to type type: i, u, r, e, w, q. It will be challenging find ways of reporting without those letters, (paging tawny grammar).

This is a throwback -- before wireless, before a lot of so-called technology, one went armed with pen and paper, took notes, and filed stories later. Seems like old times.

*(I seem to recall Jeneane and I agreeing that bloggercon was actually about filling hotel rooms).

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger AKMA said...

The exchange was so beautifully ingenious that I hate to defer credit for it, but it was Gary and Steve, mostly. I think I was just the Zeppo to their Groucho and Chico.

2/18/2008 10:45 AM  
Blogger fpaynter said...

Did you accept the invitation to blog the conference? Is the bloggage publicly accessible someplace? Your extensive fan-base needs to know.

2/20/2008 11:27 PM  
Blogger Tom Matrullo said...

Dear fp, who it seems I now must address as honorable bellweather of the IMproPRieTies fanaticals, I am just back and have just started posting. There was a lot to talk about, much of it stuff I'm still digesting. Anyway, fwiw, the official blog is here, (my post is here) but I'll probably be posting here too.

2/20/2008 11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haven't got an invitation but i'll try it next year again!

2/28/2008 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home